If you worked in any of these countries, you could be due a Tax Refund

How to Avoid These 3 Common Canadian Tax Filing Problems


It may not be time to file your 2024 taxes but now is the time to make sure that all of your previous years of taxes are in order.

To file your taxes in Canada you need to be aware of the important dates (December 31st – End of the tax year, April 30th – Tax Filing deadline, remember to keep all of your receipts and to follow up with your employer to get your T4 form. Each year there are common questions that arise from our customers in Canada so we wanted to give you some advice on the three most common problems that crop up every tax season in Canada:

1. Do you have your T4 form?

Your T4 form is a summary of all the income and taxes you paid throughout the year of employment. If you don't have your T4 form it can be a bit of challenge to file your taxes. You will need a record of every payslip that you received. T4 forms are usually distributed by Canadian employers in February each year. If you haven't received your T4 form you are entitled to request one from your employer.

If you worked for several employers in the tax year don’t worry you are can still file your tax return, you just need to have a T4 form from each of them to complete your tax return file. If you have issues retrieving your T4 form we can help.

The average Canadian tax refund is $998


2. Have you over paid tax?

Under claiming expenses can lead to an over payment of tax for those that don't know the tax regulations in Canada. This often happens with self employed beauticians, construction workers and others who are afraid to claim expenses they are entitled too in case they get a penalty or they get audited in the future.

Check out our free Canadian tax refund calculator!

Charitable donations, medical expenses, moving expenses and some expenses relating to the cost of training are just some of the expenses that you are entitled to claim for. For more detailed information on the different types of expenses in Canada register here.


3. Are you a resident or non-resident for tax purposes?

If you are working in Canada on a working holiday visa you are considered a non-resident for tax purposes or you stay in Canada for less than 183 days. This affects the amount of tax you pay and also the tax return that you should receive at the end of your working holiday.

As a non-resident in Canada you must have proof of identification, a T4 form from your employer and a signed authorisation to allow any third party to file taxes on your behalf. It is crucial that you file your taxes correctly and on time in Canada every year.

We are on hand to answer all of your Canadian tax queries! Canada@taxback.com

Find out more detailed information about Canadian tax dates.

The average Canadian tax refund is $998


Mastering Canadian Tax Filing with Taxback

Navigating the intricacies of Canadian tax filing doesn't have to be daunting.

By understanding key elements such as T4 forms, avoiding overpayments, and residency considerations, you can streamline the process and ensure compliance with tax regulations.

Remember, staying organized with your receipts and seeking assistance when needed can make a significant difference in maximizing your tax benefits while minimizing stress.

As you embark on your tax-filing journey, arm yourself with knowledge and resources to tackle any challenges that may arise. With careful attention to detail and proactive planning, you can navigate tax season with confidence and ease.

Here's to mastering Canadian tax filing and optimizing your financial well-being!

About The Author

Elizabeth Murphy - Online Marketing Manager @ Taxback.com

I am a person who likes challenges, as they help me improve and gain experience which is priceless. I am very grateful to my parents; they always have supported me in everything and I wouldn’t be the person I am today without them!

Live Chat Help
Elizabeth Murphy - Online Marketing Manager @ Taxback.com in