If you worked in any of these countries, you could be due a Tax Refund

How to Claim Tax Back on Your Dental Expenses


OK, we get it.

Nobody likes going to the dentist. In fact, most people prefer not to even talk about going to the dentist.

But hear us out.

If you get work done on your teeth, you could be entitled to a substantial tax refund!

In this guide, we’re going to share everything you need to know about claiming tax back on your dental expenses in Ireland.

Download your FREE Irish Tax Guide

Get Yours Here!

Which dental expenses are eligible for tax relief?

To qualify for tax relief, the dental treatment must be classified as non-routine dental care or specialised treatment. Treatments which fall under the category of routine care do not qualify. 

What type of dental treatment is considered ‘non-routine’?

As mentioned above, you can claim relief for non-routine dental care and specialised treatment.

This includes:

  • tip replacing

  • crowns 

  • Rembrandt type etched fillings or veneers

  • inlays (a smaller version of a gold crown)

  • endodontics (root canal treatment)

  • orthodontic treatment (provision of braces and related treatments)

  • periodontal treatment for gum disease such as:

- root planing and gum flaps

- implants (including bone grafting and bone augmentation) 

- chrome cobalt splints

  • surgical extraction of impacted wisdom teeth

  • bridgework

  • root canals

What type of dental work is considered ‘routine’?

Unfortunately, you can’t claim tax relief on routine treatments, such as:

  • scaling or cleaning

  • tooth extraction

  • fillings

  • repairing artificial teeth or dentures

I received treatment outside Ireland. Can I get tax back? 

If you have had a non-routine dental treatment performed outside of Ireland, you may be able to apply for tax relief. 

The dentist must be a qualified dentistry practitioner under that country’s law, in order for you to qualify for this relief. 

How to claim dental tax expenses in Ireland

To claim for non-routine dental expenses, you’ll first need to get a completed Form Med 2 from your dentist.

After your treatment, your dentist should give you the form Med 2. If you received treatment over a year ago, it’s required that you complete a separate Med 2 for each year. 

Next, you can either apply for your refund directly with Revenue or if you would like to guarantee that you receive your maximum refund, you can apply with Taxback.com.

Taxback has more than 20 years of experience claiming tax refunds on behalf of our customers. Our policy is no refund, no fee. That means you have nothing to lose by checking how much irish tax back you’re owed.

We will deal with the tricky tax paperwork and make sure that you avail of every expense that you are entitled to so that you get the maximum legal tax refund.


Download your FREE Irish Tax Guide

Get Yours Here!

Why choose Taxback.com?

Here's why:

  • Our team will ensure you avail of every expense and relief you're entitled to

  • We'll transfer your maximum legal Irish tax refund straight to your bank account

  • It's a convenient online service. We do the work. You get the cash!

  • Got tax questions? Our Live Chat team are on hand 24/7 to support you

And remember you can go back four years to claim what you're owed. The average dental expenses tax refund a Taxback.com customer receives is €1,880 - so it's definitely worth finding out what you're due!

Claim tax back on your dental expenses


About The Author

Kristina Valcheva - Digital content writer @ Taxback.com

Kristina is a digital content writer at Taxback.com. She has a strong interest in finance and technology, and her background is in media, journalism and sales.

Live Chat Help
Kristina Valcheva - Digital content writer @ Taxback.com in