If you worked in any of these countries, you could be due a Tax Refund

How to claim work related expenses in Germany


Many people are unaware that it’s possible to claim a tax deduction for certain work related expenses in Germany. 

The German tax office will automatically deduct a lump sum of €1,000 for work related expenses when you’re filing your tax return. No proof is required for this lump sum. 

However, if your expenses are higher than the lump sum you should claim the costs incurred instead of the lump sum, the tax office will ask for proof for these expenses.

Below we have outlined some work related expenses in Germany that you may be eligible to claim a tax deduction on.

Travelling to work

You can claim €0.30 back for every kilometer you travel from your home to your workplace. Regardless of whether you travel by car (including sharing a car) or train, you can claim the lump sum. You can claim a flat rate of up to €4,500 per year for the commuters tax allowance. 

However, if your travel costs are higher than the lump sum it would be best not to use the flat rate. Alternatively, you should claim your actual travel costs and keep all your receipts and tickets related to travel.

Work equipment

When you purchase a piece of equipment for work you may be able to claim it as an expense. If the item does not exceed €952 it can be claimed immediately. Any cost that your employer hasn’t reimbursed you for can also be deducted. Examples of work equipment include: 

  • Work clothes - like a doctor's coat or boiler suit
  • PC, notebook, smartphone
  • Software
  • Workplace equipment (desk, office chair, book shelf)
  • Tools
  • Literature

The Average German Tax Refund is €1020



Any insurance that covers you for occupational risk can be claimed as a work related expense. This includes professional liability, accident insurance, and legal expenses insurance. 

Insurance plans that cover a private risk (health insurance, private nursing insurance, life insurance, personal liability insurance, legal costs insurance etc) are not included in work related expenses, but they can be deducted as additional expenses.


The expense of moving to another location for your job is also tax deductible. Expenses that can be deducted include:

  • Travel costs e.g. hotel costs, flight costs, train costs etc.
  • Agency fee
  • Transport costs
  • Double paid rent
  • Storage of furniture

There is a lump sum of €764 that can be deducted in addition to the actual moving expenses.

Business trips and training

Travel expenses for business trips and expenses for training can be deducted in your tax return. 

The lump sum for business trips can be for return trips, with an allowance of €0.30 per kilometer. If your employer reimburses you with the travel costs then you will have to declare it on your tax return. 

The Average German Tax Refund is €1020


Double household

If you have a second household for work purposes, you can avail of many tax deductions. The second home must be nearer to the workplace than the first home, your primary residence (first home) must be where your family/ friends live and you must also contribute financially to the primary residence. 

The following are tax deductible expenses for your second household:

  • Rent
  • Furniture and furnishings
  • Travel between your first and second home


Who can help me claim my work related expenses?

To see how much of a refund you may be due back check out our German tax refund calculator.

The average German tax refund a Taxback.com customer receives is €1,020 so don't put off applying any longer!

Why choose Taxback.com?

Our team will take care of all the paperwork for you so you don’t have to!

  • Maximum tax refund guaranteed
  • Simple online process - no complicated forms
  • 24/7 Live Chat tax support team

Apply for your German tax refund today!

The Average German Tax Refund is €1020


About The Author

Louise Murphy - Marketing Associate @ Taxback.com

Louise is a Marketing Associate at Taxback.com.

Live Chat Help
Louise Murphy - Marketing Associate @ Taxback.com in