If you worked in any of these countries, you could be due a Tax Refund

Are you working on the Frontline? Here's 4 ways you can claim your tax back today!

#TaxTipsIreland #News #Featured

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we have all been relying on frontline workers to keep essential services running. From the nurses and doctors in our hospitals to our local corner shop assistants and even the delivery drivers who have been supporting our new-found online shopping addiction and transporting our purchases straight to our door! We can't thank you all enough!

The good news is that, if you're a frontline worker, you may be due a significant tax rebate!

Our average customer claims back €1,880 and in this guide we will outline some of the most common types of tax relief that you may be entitled to!

Don't leave your money in the tax man's pocket. Here's four ways to claim your maximum Irish tax refund!


Download your FREE Irish Tax Guide

Get Yours Here!

1. Flat rate expenses for frontline workers


The intention of Flat Rate Expenses is to help with costs associated with work, like uniforms, tools and equipment. Whether you are entitled to flat rate expenses will depend on what your occupation is.

The good news is that frontline workers such as nurses, doctors, local authority staff, pharmacists, phlebotomists, shop assistants etc. are entitled to flat rate expenses.

We have detailed the full list of occupations that qualify for flat rate expenses here – so be sure to check that out and see what flat rate expenses you are entitled to claim tax relief on.

For example, a pharmacist is entitled to €400 worth of flat rate expenses each year, for the past four years. They are entitled to claim tax relief up to 40% on these expenses, depending on the taxpayer's personal circumstances. So, they could be entitled to €160 for each of the past four years!


Want to Get What You're Owed?

Claim Your Flat Rate Expenses Here!


2. Tuition Fees

If you paid for tuition fees, for yourself or someone else, in the past four years, you may be entitled to claim tax relief on the expense incurred.

You may be eligible to claim as much as 20% tax back on the tuition fees you have paid, for undergraduate or postgraduate courses. However, there is a limit of €7,000 per course, on which you can claim relief.

Find out more about the relief available on tuition fees here.


3. Medical expenses


Only 4 in 10 Irish people claim tax relief on the cost of their medical expenses. The average Irish family spends €2,600 on medical and dental expenses each year - a sum of money that definitely warrants claiming a tax refund for!

"What kind of medical expenses can I claim?" I hear you ask.

Well, first of all, you are entitled to 20% tax relief on your doctor and consultant fees. That's €12 for every €60 you pay in GP fees – so it easily adds up if you visit the GP a couple of times a year. You are also entitled to claim for relief on your prescriptions.

If there's any new mum's reading, you can claim back tax relief on the cost of all standard maternity care, provided they have not been reimbursed or covered by medical insurance or medical cards.

Please check out our medical expenses guide to see what other medical expenses you are eligible to claim. You can also check out our medical expenses tax relief calculator to find out how much tax back you are owed.


Download your FREE Irish Tax Guide

Get Yours Here!

4. Year of marriage


If you have walked down the aisle in the last four years, you may be entitled to year of marriage relief.

In the year you're married, both you and your spouse will continue to be treated as single people for tax purposes. Refunds are typically granted the following year – so if you get married in 2021 for example, your refund will be calculated after 31 December, 2021.

In a nutshell, you can potentially make a saving with the year of marriage relief if:

  • Both you and your spouse are working but only one of you pay tax at the higher rate
  • Both you are your spouse are working and one spouse has unused credits due to low income
  • Only one spouse is working
  • One spouse cares for children in the home
  • You are disposing of assets or making investments


To find out everything you need to know about the tax benefits you can avail of when married, check out our marriage and tax blog here.


Want to claim a tax refund?

If you have never claimed your tax back in Ireland before, don't worry! Our experts can help you claim your tax refund from the last four years!

It only takes a couple of minutes to get started - all you have to do is complete the short form here.

Our tax team will handle all of the tedious paperwork so you don't have to! We will ensure you get your maximum tax refund which will be transferred straight to your bank account.

It's that easy!

So what are you waiting for?

Get your tax back today!


The average Irish tax refund is €1,880


About The Author

Zoe Byrne - Digital Content Executive @ Taxback.com

Zoe writes about the latest developments in tax filing, relief and credits for Taxback.com. She has a background in Digital Marketing and has a strong interest in technology, health, fitness and travel.

Live Chat Help
Zoe Byrne - Digital Content Executive @ Taxback.com in